Thursday, June 11, 2009

Finally...

I didn't know I was going to rattle so many nerves when I put my last post up (HA HA, ok so maybe I had a little bit of an idea)! BUT to answer everyone's question- I am NOT pregnant.

I know I know, you're sad... But my good news is that I am going to get an insulin pump. I am a type 1 diabetic and do insulin shots. I give myself a shot of insulin before every meal and before I go to bed, which comes out to a lot of shots because I love food!

The insulin pump is about the size of a deck of cards and it would be attached to my body through an IV wire and it would deliver the insulin into my body with a click of a button. I would insert the tubing with a needle and then the needle comes out of the tubing but the tubing stays in my body... I would have to change the tubing about every 3 days. So it would come out to ONE shot every 3 days instead of multiple shots every day. So less pokes and better blood sugar control. Sounds great to me.

I have an "assessment" for the pump next week, which means they talk to me and make sure that I am willing and ready to use the insulin pump correctly and that I understand everything about it. These suckers cost about $8000 so the companies that make them don't hand them out like candy!

It's a major accomplishment for me because I have been working on getting the pump for a long time now and I haven't had much success- between being lazy, getting really frustrated with the nurses and feeling too overwhelmed/inadequate about it all has kept me from my goal until now. I knew I needed the pump if I wanted better control and a future family.


8 comments:

The Shane's said...

That's great!!! I am sooo excited for you! I know what that means!!!!

Phill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannine said...

Good Job, Shanna!! My boys need some cousins!:)

BECKY said...

That is GREAT! I have a couple friends with those and they really have been AWESOME for them... this will be a GREAT move for you! Congrats again!!!

rad6 said...

Looks just like Rachael's. Very cool. I suppose that the other "good news" will just have to wait.
That will make your life different for sure!

makana said...

Glad that you will have somthing to help out.

dmd said...

This is good news Shanna!

Brianna said...

YEAH!!! I AM THRILLED FOR YOU! I know that you talked about wanting to get one last time we were down in Sacramento. I am glad that it is finally happening.