Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bye Bye Summer

Summer is over and fall is here! The air is turning crisp and I am getting the urge to bake...or at least attempt it again. Maybe this year my cookies will turn out? Probably not.

School started on August 31 and ever since then life has been a blur. Jeff is taking 15 units and I am taking 12. He is working 4am to 9am at UPS and then going to school and I am working 8am to 3pm and then going to school. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday nights are class and Wednesday night is mutual. Wooo what a load...but I can honestly say I LOVE IT! I am 29 units away from my BA in Child Development, which I am aiming for next Fall to graduate with Jeff. My house has never been cleaner and my health has never been so...healthy! I am sleeping better than a baby and working harder than most adults (ok...maybe not so much).

I would be lying if I told you it was all because of me that I have been so happy and energetic. I am really putting every day in the Lord's hands. There is no way I could do what I am doing without the Lord's help. He has blessed me with things I didn't even know I needed. He has blessed me with confidence in my educational abilities, He has given me opportunities for my self esteem to increase, He has calmed my fears and brought balance to my life, He has quieted my anxieties, He has brought opportunities for growth in ways I never would have imagined, He has stifled my temper. I am trying not to let harsh judgments or cruel criticism linger in my thoughts, I am focusing on the things that matter most, I am a better driver, I am a happier person, I am truly becoming the person that the Lord wants me to be. I am setting goals and accomplishing them, I am reading scriptures every night and finding similarities with me and Nephi, I am talking to my Savior and my Eternal Father in a very real way and asking for help with my faults and weaknesses and every day life. Surviving this semester has meant sacrificing my time and hobbies and really focusing only on the things that have an eternal consequence- my family, the gospel and my schooling. When there happens to be a night that I don't have something going on, I find myself feeling unproductive. There is always work to be done and I have learned this in a very few short months. Whether it is serving others or serving the Lord, we should always be anxiously engaged in a good cause.

I am grateful for the lessons I learn when I don't even expect them. Life is good and I am happy.

3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Sounds fantastic! You inspire me, girl! I love and hate school and will be so glad when I'm done....someday...hang in there. The spiritual stuff really makes a difference, huh? I need to work a bit more on that right now. Thanks for the reminder!

Carolyn said...

You are such an amazing person. I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you and that you are so spiritual that you don't forget where your blessings come from. My lessons paid off! Just kidding, you were amazing long before I came into the picture. Thanks for your example.

The Shane's said...

We love you Shanna and Jeff!